Sunday 14 July 2013

Big White is AWESOME! End of hiking week.

Looking from the top of Cliff Chair down to the lake.
Sunday was the last day of my 7 day personal, challenge and it was finished with a great hike - 14km with the Brunt family, and a dog pack including Yoda, Hobbes, Pixel and Lucy. Critters on the mountain were almost had a slightly higher risk from the canine gang of cuddly pets.

The day started at Globe with a quick coffee and then  a gentle pace to Rhonda lake (Anyone know why it is called Rhonda?). Past Rhonda, up the saddle and up to the peak. My GPS tells me the peak elevation was 7,602 ft. Is this correct for Biggie?

From the Big White peak we headed towards the top of Falcon Chair and then over to the top of the Gem Chair.

 
What an awesome day, I have been up the mountain numerous time but never hiked to the top of Falcon or Gem - it is so cool up there, very moon-scapey in places and we got to see the elusive Gem Lake - which is bigger than expected.


From Gem it was a traverse across, staying as high as possible without climbing again to end up at the top of Powder Chair, Ghost and Ridge Chairs respectively. Lots of rocky areas to traverse, slow (ish) and great fun for the kids to 'path-find'. Luca and Owen where the leaders - why do 10 year old boys not get tired?

Fun with the Brunt Family!
I use 'MapmyFitness' to track runs/hikes etc. And it told me I had expended 1500 calories +. So of course finishing at the Globe, we had to get some much needed replenishment in the form of libations (hmmm Tree Brewing Pineapple Wheat Beer) and of course the best egg and bacon sandwich courtesy of Joe at the Globe - err Yumm!

My son Luca and Hobbes after a rock climb.
This is from the saddle heading up towards the Peak.
From Falcon area looking back toward the Big White Peak.


Heading down but looking up toward Gem Peak.



























































































The easy out from T-Bar (I think) - still snow!
Yours truly.


An excellent day - and right on your doorstep! How can you not love living at Big White?

And here is the business pitch.

Sólido Properties manages long term, seasonal and guaranteed rental properties at Big White - visit our website and Facebook page for more information, or email direct.



No comments:

Big White is AWESOME! Back in time... Japanese Odyssey #5 Day one.

Mount Fuji I was deleting stuff from my phone yesterday and I came across notes from my second Japanese Odyssey, back in 2019... yep! Pre Co...